Battling Plantar Warts with Happy Feet Podiatry
What Are Plantar Warts?
Plantar warts, known medically as verrucae pedis, are a common viral infection of the skin on the feet, most often found on the soles (plantar surface) or toes. Caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV), these warts can vary in size and can often be recognized by a small, hard, grainy growth on the foot. They may also develop a callous over the top due to the pressure of walking. Tiny black dots, which are small, clotted blood vessels, can often be seen on the surface.
Identifying Plantar Warts
You might suspect a plantar wart if you have:
– A small, fleshy, rough, grainy growth on the bottom of your foot
– Hardened skin where a wart has grown inward
– A lesion on your foot with black pinpoints (wart seeds)
– Pain or tenderness when walking or standing
Why Is Treatment Important?
Although plantar warts can sometimes clear up on their own, seeking treatment is often recommended to:
-Alleviate Pain: Plantar warts can cause significant discomfort, especially when walking or standing.
– Prevent Spread: Warts can spread to other parts of your foot and to other people through direct and indirect contact.
– Avoid Complications: In people with weakened immune systems, untreated warts can lead to more serious skin infections.
– Maintain Foot Health: Addressing plantar warts is vital for overall foot health, especially for individuals who are active or have underlying foot issues.
Treatment Options at Happy Feet Podiatry
Our clinic offers effective treatments for plantar warts:
– Topical Treatments: These involve the application of salicylic acid or similar substances to help gently peel away the wart. At Happy Feet we prescribe a concentrated acid of varying types depending on the severity of the warts. This is safe and avoids any scarring.
– Immune Therapy: Encouraging your immune system to attack the wart virus.
What to Expect from Happy Feet Podiatry
– Comprehensive Evaluation: Our podiatrists will assess your warts to determine the best course of action.
– Customised Treatment Plans: Based on the evaluation, we’ll create a tailored treatment plan for your specific needs.
– Follow-up Care: We’ll monitor your progress and make any necessary adjustments to your treatment plan.
Start Your Journey to Wart-Free Feet
Don’t let plantar warts impact your quality of life. At Happy Feet Podiatry, our friendly team of professionals is here to provide effective treatments for wart-free feet.